If you are searching for the best convertible car seat for tall babies, then you may have been doing research on baby gear for quite a long time, right? But now your child is probably growing out of their infant car seat and taller than average, and you have to figure out what to get, and it is super confusing.
The biggest choices parents have to make is how to transport their child in a car. Frankly, the choice of seats is bewildering. So we have teamed up with the experts to look at how you decide which car seat is right for you and your child and more importantly how you should fit them.
Another important thing is the safety of the child. You have to make sure that your child is safe all the time in the car seat.
Convertible car seats bring the convenience of a classic seat along with being more cost-effective. We spent some time researching trying to find the best convertible car seats for compact cars. Every car seat in this article features for tall babies with decent quality and trusted safety levels.
Best Convertible Car Seat for Tall Babies:
- 1 Best Convertible Car Seat for Tall Babies:
- 2 1. Evenflo Triumph LX Convertible Car Seat:
- 3 2. Chicco NextFit Zip Air Convertible Car Seat:
- 4 3. Evenflo SureRide DLX Convertible Car Seat:
- 5 4. Maxi-Cosi Pria 3-in-1 Convertible Car Seat:
- 6 5. Evenflo Sonus – Safest Convertible Car Seat:
- 7 6. Maxi-Cosi Magellan XP 5-in-1
- 8 Things to consider before getting a new car seat:
- 9 What is a Convertible Car Seat?
- 10 Difference b/w Infant and Convertible Car Seats:
We’re an affiliate:
We hope you love the products that we recommend! Just so you know, as an Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Thank you if you use our links.
|Car Seats||Height Range||Weight Range||Price|
|Evenflo Triumph LX|
|Chicco NextFit Zip Air||Up to 49''||5-40 lbs|
|Evenflo SureRide DLX||19-40''|
|Maxi-Cosi Pria 3-in-1||4-40 lbs|
Up to 65 lbs
Up to 100 lbs
|Maxi-Cosi Magellan||5-40 lbs|
1. Evenflo Triumph LX Convertible Car Seat:
The Evenflo Triumph LX keeps your baby safe both in rear-facing and front-facing positions. It is a safe convertible car seat with side-impact protection and energy-absorbing foam.
In its rear-facing position, it can keep a child secure from 5-40 pounds and 19-37 inches. Then your child is ready to switch to the forward-facing position the seat will support from 22-65 pounds and 28-50 inches.
It also has a detachable pillow so it can slide up and down and it has padding on the sides which you can take off if you don’t want it. Then it has adjustable straps and this one thing I really like about it because you can move these straps up and down depending on how tall or how small your baby is?
It also has really cool buckle storage on either side of the seat. Another great feature is that it has a tightening knob instead of having a rope so you can easily buckle up everything. It also comes with a button to loosen the straps.
You can also recline the seat to a comfortable angle. However, like any convertible car seat, it is not compatible with any strollers. It is a great budget car seat for small cars.
The car seat also meets all Federal Safety and crash testing requirements. The Triumph also has an easily adjustable harness to match your growing baby.
This seat also comes with built-in cup holders that have an elastic band to cups with multiple sizes and shapes.
If your baby drops something on her seat you don’t have to be worried because the cushions are machine washable.
- It is a really secure seat with extra room between the car seat and passenger seat.
- Fully adjustable top straps.
- Amazing automatically adjustable height for the straps.
- Nice fabric quality with easy to wipe down.
- It has three different positions.
- Easy to install.
- Lightweight and easy to carry around.
- The tightening knob is noisy.
- Straps are difficult to clean.
2. Chicco NextFit Zip Air Convertible Car Seat:
Riding your child in rear-facing actually provides a greater safety benefit and with Chicco’s NextFit Zip convertible car seat you can keep your child in the rear-facing position longer.
This car seat is designed to accommodate younger children in the rear-facing position from 5 to 40 pounds and it provides 25% more legroom. When your child is ready simply switch the seat to forward-facing to accommodate children between 22 and 65 pounds and up to 49 inches.
They also add an extension panel that gives kids extra legroom for both rear-facing and forward-facing mode. It also provides extended calf support in the forward-facing mode.
It also provides a full-body newborn positioner with 9 height positions for the padded headrest and a no-rethread harness; this car seat makes accommodating a growing child a breeze.
Nine recline positions mean that this car seat fits a wider range of vehicles in both rear-facing and forward-facing modes.
The convertible car seat is also Latch ( Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) equipped with a super cinch tightener to help achieve a tight end secure vehicle fit with less effort.
But when using the vehicle seat belts for installing the lock sure belt system shows you where to route the seat belt and even has a built-in lock-off.
There is an Air Mesh breathable backrest to improve airflow and ventilation. As well as duo guard to provide two layers of side impact protection with a deep rigid shell and EPS (Energy-Absorbing Foam).
This seat shell is also reinforced with a steel frame. The machine-washable seat pad easily zips off. Two cup holders can be attached to either side of the car seat and either removed for cleaning or folded in to give more room.
How to Install Chicco NextFit in Rear-Facing?
- It comes with a 9-position easy adjust headrest and ReclineSure leveling system.
- Easy transition from rear-facing to forward-facing.
- Side-impact protection.
- One-pull harness tightener.
- Two-layers DuoGuard protection with EPS.
- It also has a Secure LockSure belt system.
- You can use this car seat from birth to six years old.
- This is pretty much the only car seat you are going to need.
- It has comfort for kids and convenience for parents.
- Fits in almost all types of vehicles.
- Robust steel frame which adds more durability.
- Slightly heavier.
- Some parents find it difficult to install.
3. Evenflo SureRide DLX Convertible Car Seat:
The Evenflo SureRide DLX convertible car seat is an extended-use car seat. It is designed to cradle your baby rear-facing from 5 to 40 lbs with a height between 19 to 40 inches. When your child grows taller you can accommodate growing children from 22 to 65 lbs and 28 to 54 inches comfortably while forward-facing.
The Evenflo SureRide DLX is the best convertible car seat for tall babies and designed to allow your child to remain rear-facing for a longer time.
This seat has the broadest range of harness adjustments with six positions to promote reliable ease of use. As well as creating a cozy environment for your child. It also comes with a removable body pillow for your child’s comfort.
It has got a slim profile, lightweight design, and ease of installation make it quick to move from one car to another.
The Evenflo SureRide has gone above and beyond the current government standards when designing it and testing the internal side-impact standards.
The seat has also been tested for structural integrity at energy levels approximately 2X the federal crash standard. It also meets FAA requirements for airplane use.
Not only this seat is comfortable for your little one but it will remain good-looking and stay clean with an easy to remove machine-washable seat pad.
The Evenflo is in the business of car seats for more than forty years. They have been a leader in safety, innovation, and education.
How to Install Evenflo in Rear-facing Mode?
- It comes with a removable fold-down cup-holder which provides easy access to drink.
- Side impact tested.
- This car seat is tested at both high and low temperatures.
- One of the cheapest convertible car seats on the market.
- Top-notch, extended-use option at an affordable price.
- A stylish and resilient material.
- Machine washable seat pads.
- Lightweight and decent.
- Very roomy.
- Not suitable for an under one-year-old baby.
4. Maxi-Cosi Pria 3-in-1 Convertible Car Seat:
The Maxi-Cosi Pria 3-in-1 convertible car seat is safe to use in rear-facing from 4 to 40 pounds. And all the way up to 65 pounds in the forward-facing. This car seat can also be used in booster mode and weight for up to 100 pounds.
In every stage, this Pria is comfortable for all babies and kids thanks to soft premium fabrics and padding. These paddings are self-wicking, easy to remove, machine washable, and dryer safe.
The Pria 3-in-1 comes with an adjustable height of the headrest and shoulder harness. These features are really helpful as your baby continues to grow. These adjustments are really easy to do by just squeezing the button and moving the headrest up or down.
This car seat is also equipped with side impact protection to absorb crash energy and protect your child’s head.
Its removable infant pillows provide extra support and comfort for the small babies. You can also remove them once the baby has outgrown.
It also comes with an adjustable buckle with three different slots depending upon the position of the car seat and the height of your child. This was a little tricky for me to do it first.
There is also a level line printed on the car seat which helps you to determine the proper recline position. This line must be leveled to the ground. It is nice to have this but you are basically eyeballing it and a bubble level would have made this a lot easier to see.
This convertible car seat can easily be installed in the rear-facing or forward-facing using the LATCH connectors or your vehicle’s seat belt.
I wish the latch connectors had their own separate straps for tightening as opposed to being joined to one strap that runs underneath the seat pad. But the type of latch connectors used in this seat is really easy to attach in the latch bars in your car.
The Pria 3-in-1 also features two removable cup holders that are dishwasher safe.
We do like this car seat mainly for its ability to accommodate babies and older kids. This could be the only car seat you need.
- 3-in-1 seating system.
- Another great feature includes three recline positions which can be adjusted by pulling out on the recline handle.
- GCell foam and side-impact protection which absorbs crash energy.
- Very large seat and ideal for tall babies.
- Easy to adjust the car seat and clean.
- Automatically adjusted harness and headrest.
- Supreme comfort.
- Premium fabrics and padding.
- Design of the LATCH strap.
- Difficulty changing the buckle position.
5. Evenflo Sonus – Safest Convertible Car Seat:
The Evenflo Sonus convertible car seat offers the ideal fit for both child and car. Its compact size fits three seats across in most midsize vehicles. The seat base fits a wide weight range of children with a rating from 5-40 pounds in a rear-facing and 22-50 pounds in the forward-facing. In this car seat, your child can also stay longer in the rear-facing mode.
For added comfort, this seat offers a revolutionary built-in ventilation system that provides the traveling comfort for your child through all seasons.
This car seat is super lightweight and so easy to install. The straps are also easy to loosen and tighten so getting in and out is a breeze.
Now let me tell you the most important features of the Evenflo Sonus.
First of all, it has two modes of the harness: rear-facing and forward-facing.
It has the most compact size and fits across in almost all vehicles.
Evenflo Sonus features the upfront harness adjust.
Central front access to the harness adjuster provides an easy way to adjust the child’s harness for an accurate snug fit.
In addition to meeting or exceeding all applicable Federal Safety Standards, this car seat also passes Evenflo comprehensive side-impact and industry-leading rollover test standards.
You can also use this car seat on an airplane because it meets all FAA Inversion requirements. So you can enjoy your vacation with your family.
- The seat features five shoulder strap positions for proper fit.
- Removable pads for easy machine washing.
- Two cup holders and a head pillow for support.
- Buckle pockets protect from hot buckle burns and keep buckles in an easy to access place.
- Evenflo Sonus is simply a great baby car seat, it is extremely affordable and doesn’t take much room in your car.
- Features plenty of padding for improved comfort of your child.
- Evenflo Sonus comes with four different color combinations.
- Soft and comfortable.
- It is very easy to install and remove.
- Air-flow vent.
- Dual cup holders.
- Easy to clean.
- Straps are difficult to tighten.
6. Maxi-Cosi Magellan XP 5-in-1
The Maxi-Cosi Magellan XP works from birth to all the way up to age 10 which would be from 5 lbs up to 120 lbs. This 5-in1 convertible car seat could seriously be one and only car seat you will ever need.
There are five different ways that you can use this car seat;
Baby rear-facing (5-22 pounds).
Toddler rear-facing (22-40 pounds).
Toddler forward-facing (22-65 pounds).
Child forward-facing (40-65 pounds).
Belt-positioning booster (40-120 pounds).
This is to bring the baby home and send them to the elementary school car seat. You can also use it when the baby is a newborn.
When in the rear-facing mode it’s got a head pillow, back pillow, and small infant positioning pillow for the youngest babies. You can remove them when your baby is ready.
Maxi-Cosi’s adjustable side-impact protection is really impressive. It also protects your baby head and neck with its air-filled foam headrest which is designed to absorb impact in the event of a side-impact collision.
There are 14 different headrest positions and you don’t have to rethread the harness every time.
It also has 3 adjustable Torso height positions and 7 radio recline positions. All these features leave the baby safe and comfy as they grow. The ultra-comfy seat pad is machine washable and dryer safe. You just have to unsnap it from the frame without uninstalling the car seat.
Few things to consider if you want to buy it as an infant car seat. Convertible car seats are generally heavier and bulkier than infant car seats. They are also not easy to get in and out of the car.
Overall, the Maxi-Cosi Magellan is one of the best convertible car seats for tall babies and is designed to ride your baby in comfort and style while keeping them secure.
How to Install rear-facing Latch lower anchor?
- The Magellan is the only 5-in-1 convertible car seat with side-impact protection that adjusts.
- Two-removable cup holders are also washable and dishwasher safe.
- This car seat is 19.25” wide, 24.25” deep and 24” high.
- Removable buckle harness and chest clip.
- It can be attached via LATCH or using your car seat belt.
- Built-in auto-lock feature for both rear-facing and forward-facing modes.
- Adjustable torso and other easy adjustments help this grow with a child.
- Premium fabrics.
- A timeless and sleek look.
- One-click LATCH and auto-lock.
- Smooth tightening straps.
- Hard to install and heavy.
- Difficult to store one of the LATCH connectors after removing them.
Things to consider before getting a new car seat:
So what I think about convertible car seats, I think about them in different ways.
One is, how does it install?
Second, how tall is your baby? Experts suggest that you should put your baby rear-facing until 50 pounds or 2 years old. We want our children rear-facing in cars as long as possible, because rear-facing, like having your back to the actual windshield, is the safest way to ride.
Here are some of the major factors that you should consider before making a decision.
When shopping for a car safety seat remember that the best or the safest is one that fits your child-size, fits well in your vehicle, and can be used properly every time you drive.
What is a Convertible Car Seat?
A convertible car seat is a seat that is convertible but what does that mean? Well, that means that you are going to have the car seat in your car rear-facing and then it can actually go forward-facing that one makes it convertible from rear-facing to forward-facing.
You are going to have your baby rear-facing in a car as long as possible. The recommendation from the American Academy of Pediatrics is two years but really it is as long as possible. Because rear-facing in the car is the safest way to ride.
So when you have a convertible car seat they typically recline so that when you have your baby a little bit younger you can have it in a more reclined position.
Difference b/w Infant and Convertible Car Seats:
The basic difference is that an infant car seat is removable from the base and your convertible car seat is a convertible rear-facing to forward-facing that you use through toddlerhood and beyond.